His Excellency President Elias Hrawi
Presidential Term: 24 November 1989 to 23 November 1998
Name: Elias Hrawi Elias Hraoui
Date and place of birth: 4 September 1926 - 7 July 2006, Zahle
Marital Status:Married to Evelyn Chidiac in 1947, father of three children: Rena, George and Roy Then married to Mona Jammal in 1961, and father of two children: Zalfa and Roland
- School education at Sharkiah School and at Sagesse School in Zahle
- Diploma in Commerce (Sagesse Institute; 1947)
- Enrolled at St Joseph University Faculty of Law but did not continue his studies.
Professional Experience and Political Career:
- Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Sugar Beet Cooperatives and Agriculture Cooperatives Association in Bekaa in 1959
- Elected Chairman of the Gas Station Owners Association in 1959
- Elected member of Zahle Municipal Council in 1963
- Elected Deputy (Member of Parliament) for Zahle district in 1972, and remained so by virtue of the extension of Parliament's mandate until elected President of the Republic
- Participated in Parliamentary committees as the Finance committee and chaired of the Agriculture Committee.
- Appointed Vice-President of the Chamber of Commerce and Industry in 1963.
- Appointed Minister of Public Works and Transport in 1980 in the Cabinet of Prime Minister Shafik El-Wazzan.
- Elected President of the Republic on the 24th of November 1989
At the end of his term, the Parliament convened on 19 October 1995 and amended Article 49 of the Constitution to extend his term for three years, till 23 November 1998.